Sunday 24 October 2010

Life after Death

When people think of death the first and most normal thought is death of a person. Losing someone forever. Then they think death of another type of living organism, be it an animal, plant or anything else.

Here is a different way of looking at it, death of a relationship; death of a friendship. OK so I admit ‘death of a friendship’ does sound different and strange, but as I was sitting in my lecture (suppose to be paying attention but the lecturer was so boring I drifted off to my wonderland) I thought that a relationship between two friends is like a living thing on its own, you feed it by love and attention. So much effort from both ends needs to be put, and with neglect or some ‘disease’ it can easily die.

It happens, to everyone, at some time of their life. To some people it happens more often than others.

An example of it from a first person point of view:

I tried to hold what little love we had for each other. I wasn’t ready to say goodbye. I couldn’t believe it could happen this easily. People look onwards and I feel them pitying us. All ready to give us condolences.

But I just wasn’t ready. I wasn’t going to give up without a fight and so I did just that. But you, you lost all faith. You easily let go and gave up, just like that.

I guess that’s what hurt me the most. And so before I knew it, the day came. We were just no longer friends, our friendship and love for each other died.

The undertaker took it away swiftly and then I was left alone in the dark. I was cold, and upset. I couldn’t cry anymore for all my tears dried up. I just stood there, in the darkness not knowing what to expect, and then in the distance I saw something. It was just a flicker at first, but then I got closer to it and saw some light, alas, my world of darkness has found its light and with that a new friendship has formed. It was indeed life after death.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah it is sad when a friendship dies but sometimes when a friendship dies with the old soil you can plant a new friendship.

    sometimes that length of friendships due was up and there is nothing left to save.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that was a really good post. Especially the "death of a friendship." I really love this whole aspect of a friendship dying.

    ReplyDelete